Tapati Sarkar Group
Designing and studying strongly correlated electron oxide systems at the nanoscale:
Designing new materials with novel functionalities has been my long-term research interest. In today’s world, designing new materials requires innovations that can go beyond the discovery of single-phase bulk materials. In our research, we strive to push the boundaries of conventional and established process technologies to design materials in unconventional forms (novel nanomaterials, nanocomposites, nanostructured thin films, and one-dimensional morphology) to enhance functionalities aimed at applications ranging from low-power electronics to energy-efficient permanent magnets.
The materials of interest are strongly correlated electron oxide systems. As the name suggests, these are systems where electrons interact strongly with each other, as a result of which, apart from the electronic charge, its spin and orbital also play important roles. This strong correlation gives rise to new functionalities, especially in reduced dimensions, when, in addition to the existing complexity in the systems, finite size effects also become important. Some exotic and technologically-relevant properties that have been observed in this family of materials are colossal magnetoresistance, multiferroicity, and superconductivity, to name a few. Designing and studying such materials using new and innovative strategies is the focus of my group.
We thank the following foundations for financial support.
- The Swedish Research Council (VR Starting grant)
- Carl Tryggers Foundation for Scientific Research
- Stiftelsen Olle Engkvist Byggmästare
- Wenner-Gren Stiftelserna
- The Royal Physiographic Society of Lund
- The Swedish Energy Agency (Energimyndigheten)
- Dr. P. Kuppamuthu (postdoctoral researcher)
- Dr. R. Maddu (postdoctoral researcher)
- Dr. G. Datt (postdoctoral researcher)
- Mr. P. Maltoni (doctoral student, in collaboration with R. Mathieu)
- Mr. F. Denoel (doctoral student, in collaboration with R. Mathieu)
- Ms. D. Belotcerkovtceva (doctoral student, in collaboration with M. Venkata Kamalakar)
- Dr. G. Kotnana (postdoctoral researcher)
- Dr. F. Sayed (postdoctoral researcher, in collaboration with R. Mathieu)
- Mr. F. Denoel (project assistant)